How Long Should My Garage Door Rollers Last?
The rollers are an essential part of your garage door system. It simply cannot work properly without the rollers. How long they last depend on the type of rollers you have in your garage. Generally, providing them with the proper maintenance can help them last for one to two decades. Of course, there are other factors that can affect their longevity such as the climate and how often you use your garage door.
Types of Garage Door Rollers
There are three main types of garage door rollers steel, plastic, and nylon. Each type has unique advantages.
- Steel Rollers: These are the most durable rollers available. It is also the most expensive material available. They are also the noisiest type of rollers.
- Plastic Rollers: This material is the least expensive, but also the least sturdy of the three types. Since plastic rollers don’t have ball bearings, they can be extremely noisy. Plastic garage door rollers need to be replaced more frequently than the other types of rollers.
- Nylon Rollers: Garage door rollers made from nylon are mid-range when it comes to cost and durability.
Why do garage door rollers wear out?
Garage door rollers will not last forever. Eventually, they will wear out. There are different factors that cause them to wear out.
- Weather and Climate: Metal parts will rust if they are exposed to a lot of moisture or rain. Stainless steel resists rust and will hold up well in wet environments.
- Usage: If your garage door is used numerous times every day, it can shorten the roller’s expected longevity. They will only be good for so many uses and if they are used a lot they will start to wear. Once they have reached their use limit, a garage door specialist will need to replace them. It won’t matter if it’s been 12 years or just three.
- Track Cleaning: Keeping small debris out of the tracks will help the rollers move freely and quietly. If they are too loud, add a lubricant to the tracks.
- Track Maintenance: Your garage door mechanisms are just like any type of machinery. The better it is maintained the more efficiently it will function. Yearly inspections of your rollers and routine maintenance will ensure they are working properly, and it can catch small problems that can be repaired before they grow into big, more costly ones.
How often should you expect to replace garage door rollers?
Garage door rollers need to be replaced once they stop working properly. This can mean every 10 to 20 years depending on the material. However, plastic rollers will need to be replaced much sooner than that. If you want to check if you need new rollers, disconnect the door from the automatic opener. Then, pull the cord to operate the door manually. This allows you to examine how much drag the door has. If it seems like the door has too much drag, it may be time to replace the rollers.
If you decide it’s time to replace the garage door rollers, contact a professional. If the rollers are not installed properly, they can cause the door to malfunction and can put your family at risk. Improperly installed rollers may break or wear out quickly. This can cause the door to become unbalanced. It may also close suddenly and unexpectedly and cause an injury.
Is it time to replace your garage door rollers?
Contact us at US Garage Door Repair if you feel your garage door rollers need replacing. Let our professionals inspect your garage door system and make any needed repairs to ensure your garage door continues to operate as it should. We are available 24/7 for your garage door repair needs.