How to Open a Garage Door with a Broken Spring
Reliable Garage Door Repair in Chicago, Lake County, and Cook County
Garage Door Spring Repair
If you’ve ever experienced a broken garage door spring, you know how frustrating it can be. Not only does it render your garage door inoperable, but it can also pose a serious safety hazard. As a leading Chicago, Lake County, and Cook County garage door repair contractor, USA Garage Door Repair understands your frustration and is here to help you with all of your needs. Below, we share tips that you can use to open a garage door with a broken spring safely, and why it’s essential to rely on professional garage door repair services to assist you.
What Causes a Garage Door Spring to Break?
Garage door springs are responsible for counterbalancing the weight of the door, allowing it to open and close smoothly. Over time, the constant tension and stress can cause the springs to wear out and eventually break. Several factors can contribute to a broken spring, including:
- Age and wear: Springs have a limited lifespan, and the more the door is used, the faster they wear out.
- Corrosion: Exposure to moisture and humidity can lead to rust, which weakens the spring.
- Improper maintenance: Failing to lubricate the springs regularly can cause them to wear out prematurely.
- Fluctuations in temperature: Extreme temperature changes can cause the metal in the springs to contract and expand, leading to breakage.
The Importance of Professional Garage Door Repair
When it comes to dealing with a broken garage door spring, it’s crucial to contact a professional garage door repair service like USA Garage Door Repair. Attempting to open a garage door with a broken spring can be dangerous, as the door may suddenly fall or the remaining spring may snap, causing injury or damage.
Professionals have the necessary tools, equipment, and expertise to handle garage door spring repairs safely and efficiently. Furthermore, they can identify any other issues that may need to be addressed to ensure the long-term functionality of your garage door.
How to Open a Garage Door with a Broken Spring: Step-by-Step Guide
While we strongly recommend calling our professional garage door repair service in Chicago, Lake County, or Cook County, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to open a garage door with a broken spring if it’s an emergency:
- Disconnect the garage door opener: Unplug the opener to prevent accidental activation.
- Locate the emergency release cord: Find the cord hanging from the opener’s rail. This cord disengages the opener from the door.
- Pull the emergency release cord: Pull down the cord to disengage the opener from the door.
- Prepare to lift the door manually: Get help from another person if possible, as garage doors can be heavy.
- Lift the door slowly: Lift the door evenly from the bottom with both hands. Be cautious, as the door may be heavier than expected due to the broken spring.
- Secure the door in the open position: Once the door is fully open, use C-clamps or locking pliers to secure the door in place. Attach them to the tracks below the bottom rollers to prevent the door from falling.
Remember, this method should only be used in emergencies, and it’s always best to call a professional garage door repair service to handle broken springs.
Contact USA Garage Door for All Your Garage Door Repair Needs
Dealing with a broken garage door spring can be frustrating and dangerous. However, knowing how to open a garage door with a broken spring is vital in emergencies. Still, it’s always best to rely on professional garage door repair services in Chicago, Lake County, and Cook County. If you’re experiencing issues with your garage door, don’t hesitate to contact USA Garage Door Repair for fast, reliable, and expert assistance.